?

Log in

Emerald Facets
Many Facets; One Gem
The stake-out in front of 'Postcards' 
19th-Sep-2006 08:53 am
Wyrm
((OOC: This takes place on readsstreetsign's [as determined by random roll] watch. It is at Reads' player's discretion when to allow other players [besides the others on the stake-out] into the scene.))

Under Reads' watchful eye, the bronze-skinned young man, clad in a brown smock bearing the name, "Universal Maintenance" on the sleeve, slips out of the restaurant and makes his way down the street to a new-looking storefront marked "General Health and Nutrition."

The young man opens the door and goes into the building. Through the window can be seen shelves of sports drinks, candy bars and pill bottles. Behind the counter is a bored-looking young woman with bleached-blonde hair and a pierced eyebrow, whose face lights up when she sees the young man enter.
Comments 
19th-Sep-2006 05:41 pm (UTC)
((ooc: Just sorting things out/making sure I have this right. Itchy and Romeo Charlie were to have staked out the restaurant (he in the penumbra, she in the air in the "real" world) the night before the stakeout. Since there was no description or action, I'm assuming it was all clear and we move on to the next day.

Reads Street Signs' watch was to have been in the afternoon, with the others staked out in various places nearby. Again Itchy was going to be in the penumbra until it was his turn for watch. He'll thus be able to see all of the watchers I believe (all awakened spirits, i.e. Garou, Corax...), and will see everyone follow the new mark to the General Health and Nutrition store.

Have I got all this right? I don't know what's happening with anyone who suggested that they be IN the restaurant at the time, as part of that crew was Maya.))
20th-Sep-2006 11:21 am (UTC)
((OOC: Since Maya's player had to drop out, I thought I'd do a little GM-fiating, assume nothing interesting happened prior to or during her watch [which was someplace in the middle, IIRC], and skip ahead to when something interesting actually *did* happen on the stake-out. Sorry for any confusion.

And yes, the others can be staked out nearby.))
21st-Sep-2006 01:16 am (UTC)
Reads quickly checks the block for the nearest member of the team. Then reaches into his bag to slice his palm on the sharp edge of the ripped up can. He takes a couple steps to a building near the store and wipes some of the blood off on it.

Then he hurries back and opens up his occult senses on the girl.

((OOC: Okay whoever wants to be the watcher for this direction can come in anytime. Also Sense Wyrm on the girl: 2, 9, 7, 7, 1, 3 ))
21st-Sep-2006 11:15 am (UTC)
((OOC: A sickly sweet smell of rot surrounds the young woman.))

Inside the store, the young woman and the youth chatter amiably about last night's TV shows, then commiserate about how boring their jobs are. The girl indicates an area of the store; the young man goes to a shelf of pill bottles and chooses two, then starts to make his way back to the counter.
25th-Sep-2006 10:36 pm (UTC)
**Shit no one base this way. Follow what one.**

Reads takes the time that man is in the store to check the block and building for any tags that might show a claim and any that might also have appeared around Postcards.

When the young man starts moving again Reads moves again in pursuit hoping like hell that they cross the path of someone else from the pack.
27th-Sep-2006 07:38 pm (UTC)
Charlie lands on the sidewalk within Read's line of sight and picks up a penny. ** Just let instinct lead you. Act like a bird born. ** She returns to the tree and her watch of the block.
28th-Sep-2006 12:55 pm (UTC)
Nearby, Diana watches the large black bird land and snaps a picture of the banyan tree, keeping up her disguise. **Pay no attention to the woman with the camera.**
28th-Sep-2006 11:32 pm (UTC)
Seeing the bird in the tree and the photographer Reads relaxes a little. He tries to move his head, shoulders, and bag in such a way that Diana or Charlie might get the hint and take over following the man in the fancy outfit.

**One you follow plan. Sticking out bit over here.**
29th-Sep-2006 01:29 am (UTC)
((OOC: Fancy clothes? you mean what he wore in the last scene, in this he... "clad in a brown smock bearing the name, "Universal Maintenance" on the sleeve". If they are one in the same what follows is my move. If not ignore it so that we can clearify things.))

Charlie eyes the sky and calculates the number of possible routes the man can take after he leaves the nutrition shop, then shifts to perch that would give her the best chance of make her following look like a coincidence.
30th-Sep-2006 12:52 am (UTC)
((OOC: Yeah that's the guy. Player had a mental misfire about how he was dressed this time around.))

Reads moves a bit further away from the store so that the rest of the pack has room to move when the man comes out.
21st-Sep-2006 01:35 pm (UTC)
((ooc: Does the brown-clad guy have an awakened spirit, so that he is visible in the Penumbra? Other than that, I'll make a Sense Magic roll to see whether he's noticed anything of interest in his long stakeout:
Roll 1: 3, 5, 3, 7, 5, 7, 8
Depending on variable difficulty of course, that gives him 3 probable successes, and a 30' radius))

IF (man is visible in Penumbra)
Itchy makes note of the fellow after what has been an interminable stakeout in the penumbral region surrounding their target, looks around to see who has begun to tail the mark, and for his own part follows as well.

IF (Man isn't visible, but people begin to tail the guy)
Itchy becomes a little antsy, seeing the rest of the temporary pack start to move. He calms himself, knowing that they might just be following someone or something which he cannot see on this side of the Gauntlet, then follows Reads at an appropriate distance, scanning around for anything reflective in case he needs to step sideways anytime soon.
22nd-Sep-2006 11:28 am (UTC)
((OOC: The guy in the brown janitor's smock is not visible in the Penumbra. The young woman behind the counter, however, is.

There's definitely a sense of "dark" magic about the GHN store.))

27th-Sep-2006 12:10 pm (UTC)
Being as the situation is becoming more tense, with people taking up positions and beginning to stalk something which he cannot yet see, Itchy Kachina will move along with the pack and situate himself as best he can to deal with any oncoming threats. He's also looking for something shiny, as being stuck in the Penumbra if a fight breaks out will not benefit anybody.

He will place the sense of dark magic and the appearance of the shopgirl's spirit to the back of his mind for now, but there will be a disclosure when time and opportunity permit.
28th-Sep-2006 11:24 am (UTC)
((Picking up from this comment))

As Itchy watches from the Penumbra, the atmosphere around the GHN store suddenly grows thick with the smell of rotting flesh overlaid with cheap perfume gone rancid.

The "air" seems to shimmer with a sickly greenish light, and three nightmarish forms appear in the Penumbra. The reek grows thicker as one of them bares impossibly-long black teeth dripping with viscous green liquid. Another swings a lashing, spiked tail, and the third flexes mustard-yellow claws.
28th-Sep-2006 02:56 pm (UTC)
((ooc: Nightmarish forms; humanoid, lupus, Crinos, 6' guys in rabbit suits, old-timey diving gear, centaurs, Vozhd..? *chuckle* I got the description of their weaponry, I just don't know what they look like in general. Are they like mutant people, are they Crinos, are they some horrible bane amalgamation? Just need more info that's all. Actually...))

The young Philodox almost feels the shift in the Penumbral scape before he sees the air shift to the foreboding end of the spectrum, then it becomes a contest between his nose and his eyes to determine what about the new turn of events he finds most repulsive.

Not having any better course of action, he freezes in his tracks and hopes that the things haven't detected him yet. He casts his eyes about nervously, still seeking something reflective; where before it was just a precaution it might now be a matter of life or death.

Suddenly he wishes there were a Theurge nearby to raise the spiritual alarm.

The flaw in his "check out the Penumbra" plan becomes readily apparent as he narrows his eyes, steels himself against the rotten stink, and wishes he had a way to inform the pack just what these things might be.

:Please don't be Spirals...please don't be Spirals...: he thinks to himself, before taking a deep breath and letting mystical senses reach out towards the trio.

((Activating Scent of the True Form = Roll 1: 8, 5, 10, 9, 6 (3-4 successes, variable dependent on rarity. Possible additional success due to specialty, I trust the ST to roll that if need be). Auto-detects if they are werewolves, probably knows what else they are, given the roll.))
28th-Sep-2006 07:05 pm (UTC)
((OOC: Oops! Sorry; rectifying that below.))

There's a definite smell of "corruption" and "spirit" about the trio of roughly humanoid forms. They "smell" something like fomori, but have no feeling of "human" or even "once-human" about them.

((OOC: In case I'm being too obtuse with the purple prose here, they're Banes.))
28th-Sep-2006 10:30 pm (UTC)
:Thank Gaia, thank Luna, thank all the spirits that these things mock by continuing to exist!:

Immensely relieved that the creatures are not Black Spiral Dancers, Itchy turns his mind to how to deal with the situation. They're not totally unexpected in a place of corruption, and they will need to be dealt with, but there's no way he was going to tackle them without the pack. He maintains his attempt at stealth and when he can possibly do so without them or anyone on the other side of the Gauntlet seeing, he'll try to step sideways.
29th-Sep-2006 11:20 am (UTC)
((OOC: Gnosis roll, Difficulty 7, to step sideways.))
29th-Sep-2006 11:38 am (UTC)
As Itchy considers how to deal with them, the Bane with the tail swivels its head around as if looking for something. A leathery, gray tongue darts out of its lipless mouth, the movement not unlike a snake's.

Then it turns its head toward the young Philodox, and a macabre grin stretches its lipless mouth as it leaps for him, claws extended for the attack.

((OOC: Dex + Brawl roll: 4, 9, 7, 5, 7, 9, 7. 5 successes. Itchy's action?))
29th-Sep-2006 01:53 pm (UTC)
((ooc: Was somewhat confused there, as a Gnosis roll was called for, then combat broke out? Was he trying to step sideways when this happened? Rather than min-maxing the situation to Itchy's benefit by claiming he's going all kung fu on them, he'll have to take his licks and I'll assume that he was attempting to step sideways and got noticed/attacked at the worst possible time.

Gnosis roll = (8, 3, 7, 10, 7). That's an instant transfer, which muddies the waters for the bane attack. Let's assume the bane got in a swipe during the transfer process? That would also explain why it was using dex+brawl instead of Rage to attack (spirit in umbra wouldn't use physical stats), if it was swiping into the material world. Maybe not strictly by the rules, but it does make things exciting eh? Wide-eyed, breathless escape from the umbra, last swipe from the baddie as he's escaping, works for me. If it's kosher then let me know how much damage the beastie nailed Itchy for as he was crossing.))
29th-Sep-2006 07:27 pm (UTC)
((*sigh* Apologies - that's what I get for posting on an empty stomach without the rules in front of me. I'm perfectly willing to go with it swiping him as he steps sideways.

Damage roll - 4, 3, 10, 1, 2. 1 eats the 10, and no 6's otherwise, so there's no damage. Looks like Uktena is watching over his progeny. :))
30th-Sep-2006 01:18 am (UTC)
((I'm assuming that he came back to the "real" world inside the Nutrition store, yes?))

That was about as close as one can get to being Bane food without waking up with your hair turned completely white.

After a few seconds of standing wide-eyed and checking his torso for bloody gaping wounds, Itchy finally remembers to breathe. He inhales shudderingly and hopes that he wasn't within eyesight of the countergirl or the guy in the brown smock when he crossed over. Even if he was, he would find it hard to care at this moment in time.

:If they can manifest in the physical world, I might still be screwed. Get it together, get the pack together, and get back on track Jacob: he thinks to himself, finally casting his glance around to see if he was noticed.
1st-Oct-2006 12:59 pm (UTC)
Unfortunately for Itchy, it seems his luck doesn't extend to not being noticed.

The man's eyes nearly pop out of his head as Itchy materializes inside the store from nowhere. "What the FUCK-?!?" he bursts out.

The girl behind the counter gives the two men a nasty smile. "Oh, you've been a very bad boy," she says mockingly to Itchy. "I guess I'll have to teach you a lesson."

In the next heartbeat, the form of a young woman swells to a wolf-headed monster some eight feet tall, its muscular body covered with patchy gray fur. The Crinos's maw is full of sharp teeth dripping a greenish spittle, and its eyes glow a sickly yellow-green color.

Giving a terrible, ululating howl like a soul in torment, it leaps over the counter at the young Philodox, claws poised to rend him limb from limb.

((Given that everyone watching the store can see this, we are now in combat. Procedure is here.))
1st-Oct-2006 03:12 pm (UTC)
:Well, that's definately it; I'm waking up with white hair tomorrow, if I wake up at all: Itchy laments to himself, feeling his heart sink into the pit of his stomach. And here he'd hoped that she was "just" a fomor or a mage or something.

He knows that he should have come out with a witty comeback for the Bitch, that later if someone was watching the security tapes of this melee (Gaia, there's something else they'd need to take care of), he wouldn't seem like the fur-covered superhero he should.

Instead he scoops his arm into the products of the nearest shelf, flinging them in her general direction distractingly, all the while trying to put as much in the way of obstacles between she and he that he can. Flung bottles of pills, those little stairs to reach the tops of shelves, his desperation begins to show as he backpedals.

((ooc: Initiative roll and maneuver roll incoming. He's using a simple Evasive Action this round. Page 233 in my 2E core book. Not sure about revised page numbers.

Initiative = 5 plus roll of "10"
Maneuver = 9, 1, 3, 7, 4, 8 so 2 successes on Evasive Action))
27th-Sep-2006 03:50 am (UTC)
((OOC: what time of day is it?))
27th-Sep-2006 04:11 am (UTC)
((ooc: GameMistress, are there any trees, lampposts or other perches, perferablly providing a little bit of cover for Charlie?))
27th-Sep-2006 11:10 am (UTC)
((It is afternoon, and a huge banyan tree spreads out within sight of the GHN store.))
27th-Sep-2006 07:32 pm (UTC)
Charlie perches in the banyan tree watching the members of the pack and the block. She hops to another branch to see thu the windows of the health food store.
28th-Sep-2006 11:15 am (UTC)
Inside the store, the girl behind the counter cocks her head for a heartbeat or two. Then her expression hardens, and her lips move as she whispers something under her breath. For just a moment, her eyes seem to turn a sickly yellow-green...or it could just be Charlie's imagination.
29th-Sep-2006 01:19 am (UTC)
** She needs to be watched. I need to learn how to read lips. Has she seen me? ** The bird hops to another branch and preens for a moment before taking of.
5th-Oct-2006 12:29 pm (UTC) - First round of combat
((Going in order of initiative, and starting a new line of comments so things don't get too squished.))

Diana spots the other Crinos, and barely manages to stop herself from shifting into war-form as well. **Shit! Shit shit SHIT!!!** she thinks as she heads for the store, hoping to get there before the Spiral rends the Uktena limb from limb.

Reads-Street-Sign runs into the store, getting himself into position.

Meanwhile, inside the store, the man in the janitorial smock has fallen to the floor after the Spiral's transformation, whimpering as the Delirium takes hold.

Itchy desperately backpedals, flinging armfuls of bottles from the shelves and anything else he can reach toward the Spiral distractingly.

The Spiral certainly isn't expecting that - she stumbles on a pile of bottles, and only just manages to catch herself on one of the shelves. Her whole body quivers with Rage at being denied her prey, her wicked jaws snapping at the air.

((Next set of actions, please. Deadline is midnight EDT, Sunday, October 8, 2006.))
8th-Oct-2006 03:40 pm (UTC) - Round 2
With a howl of fury, the Spiral leaps at Itchy, her claws extended for the kill.

((Spending a Rage point to leap and claw. Leap: 6, 4, 8, 4. One success. Claws: 7, 5, 9, 4, 9, 4. Four successes. Damage: 9, 6, 6, 1, 8, 2, 8, 1, 8. Four levels of Aggravated Damage. Ouch!))

Diana rushes into the store; upon seeing the tableau within, she lets out a furious growl. In a heartbeat, the dark-haired woman is gone, replaced by a snarling Crinos.

Itchy manages to get out, "There are Banes in the shadow," before the Spiral's claws strike.

Meanwhile, Reads moves in behind the Spiral. He shifts into Crinos, and his claws sink into the Wyrm-ridden Garou's flesh. Blood sprays over the Bone Gnawer as his claws tear an enormous chunk of muscle from her flank. The Spiral slumps to the floor, weakly growling her defiance, as she tries to pull herself away from her Gaian attackers.

((Next set of actions, please. Deadline is midnight EDT, Wednesday, October 11, 2006.))

8th-Oct-2006 07:09 pm (UTC) - Re: Round 2
((ooc: Just a quick soak roll:
Roll 1: 2, 7
So still a nasty 3 agg damage by the look of it. Will e-mail my actions for round 3 in a bit.))
11th-Oct-2006 11:39 am (UTC) - Round 3
Growling, the Fury hurls herself for the Spiral, claws extended, but Itchy blocks her way. Confused, she pauses.

Itchy bites down the searing pain from his wounds and spits out "We need her
alive! You already took her down, that's enough! Just contain her while we
all look for the cameras, and for the love of everything pure would you
PLEASE revert form!"

While Itchy is trying to stop Diana, Reads sinks his jaws into the Spiral's throat. Blood spurts out as his teeth close on a major artery. The Spiral thrashes weakly for a few seconds, then goes still, her form reverting back to that of a young woman with bleached blonde hair and piercings...and now with a gaping tear in her throat.

((And that takes us out of combat. Back to normal posting procedure.))
11th-Oct-2006 05:55 pm (UTC) - Re: Round 3
((ooc: Do I regain a point of Rage at this point?))

Itchy breathes deeply, closes his eyes, then looks to the sky before shaking his head in disbelief.

"I'm bleeding like a stuck pig here, and took this wound in trying to prevent this from happening. With her alive, we could have dealt with things at our pace. We could have persuaded her to seek the shadow so we wouldn't have to worry about cleanup. In all likelihood the police are on their way. I'm all for letting instinct be your guide, but not when it makes you forget that..." he strongly emphasizes his next words, looking Reads directly in the eye when he says them "the Veil shall not be Lifted."

With a disgusted and disbelieving exhalation, Itchy then holds his bleeding wound and moves around the store looking for security cameras, and more importantly any recording devices to which they might be attached.
11th-Oct-2006 10:02 pm (UTC) - Re: Round 3
The Rage drains out of Diana, and she reverts to Homid form. "What do we do about him?" she asks, gesturing to the young man who's still huddled on the floor.

((OOC: At least, I assume he's still huddled on the floor; no mention was made of that changing. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.))
12th-Oct-2006 01:26 am (UTC) - Re: Round 3
"Him," Itchy says offhandedly as he searches for the recording equipment, "I'm not too worried about. It's the body that we can't move or get into the shadow that's the problem right now. He probably just mixed his meds again, and is hallucinating all of this..."
12th-Oct-2006 11:01 am (UTC) - Re: Round 3
Reads shifts down to Glabro and starts dragging the corpse toward the bathroom.

"Need bags. Knife," He says while keeping his head low in case of cameras. "Three trips, one get good stuff."
23rd-Oct-2006 01:45 pm (UTC)
It doesn't take long to find the video recording equipment in the store; it continues to run as the group discovers it.

Off the employee break room is a small room containing a mop and bucket, a carpet sweeper, bottles of cleaning fluid, a large trash barrel, a box of rubber gloves, and two boxes of clear trash bags.
23rd-Oct-2006 09:19 pm (UTC)
The recording equipment will take a savage thrashing, with particular care taken to ensure that any video tapes/whatever medium is being used for recording are destroyed beyond hope of repair.

With this task completed, Itchy's mind is a bit more at ease; that is, until he remembers his packmate's casual comment about chopping up the woman he's just murdered.

He walks back out to find Diana, saying "the cameras are taken care of, and I don't think that guy will even remember any of this clearly, especially if we convince him of the mixed meds story. That woman though...how do we deal with that? Something just feels wrong about doing what he suggests..."
25th-Oct-2006 11:42 am (UTC)
Diana's lip lifts for a second, showing white teeth. "You're thinking too much like a human - if the situation was reversed, do you think she'd be so concerned for us?" She shakes her head. "We'd be lucky if we were dead before she dismembered us."
26th-Oct-2006 01:51 am (UTC)
"If the situation was reversed," he adds, bristling slightly, "then we'd be Spirals, and wouldn't stop to think about our actions or any other sick crap."

:'I shall think before I act, and listen before I think...'

He pauses, as if he's about to say more, then brings his hand to his bleeding wound and casts his eyes downward, sighing deeply and nodding his head.

"You're right," he adds resignedly, "it's probably the best course of action. It just struck me hard there for a minute. It's not every day that you have to deal with dismembering a corpse."

"We still need to deal with those banes in the Shadow too. Also, I'm betting that her friends will be along shortly, if she had any bane friends to tell them what's going on."
7th-Nov-2006 12:30 pm (UTC)
Diana bristles at the first part of Itchy's comment, but then the rest of it sinks in and her Rage dissipates. She gestures to Itchy's wound. "Here - let me help you with that." She tears off the midriff of her T-shirt into bandage-length strips, and offers one of them to the Uktena. "Need a hand?"

She nods at the mention of the Banes. "We're not at full strength, and she might have friends coming to check up on her," she says thoughtfully. "How many of them did you say there were? Can we take care of all of them, or are we gonna need some backup?"
9th-Nov-2006 03:16 am (UTC)
Itchy takes the offered makeshift bandages with a grateful nod before responding.

"There were three," he says, "when I Stepped. One of them came as close as I've ever seen to crossing over without actually materializing. They were naturally armed and venomous by the look of it too, but you can never tell in the shadow."

He makes his way to the cash register, unconcerned about fair business practice and the potential of interrupting 'honest' trade for the likes of the operators. He opens it to collect whatever he can grab before speaking to Diana again.

"I think we can take them out, if we all step at once and we hit them hard and fast." He looks towards the bathroom and adds "Besides, I'd rather not have him walk out the front door with the package."

He pauses by the man on the ground for a moment to say "I don't know how much you'll remember of this, but if you don't learn anything else, learn this: DO NOT MIX YOUR MEDICATION." Lame, but they didn't really have a choice in trying to protect the Veil now.

((ooc: From here, if we're all going to step sideways and attack the Banes, I don't think we need to run the combat, since thanks to chronological skip we all made it safely to the Moot. That means there's no complications from here on out I'm guessing, and we triumphed.

Can anyone else reach Irony Games' (dice server) site btw?))
24th-Oct-2006 02:14 am (UTC) - In the bathroom
Once the Spiral is completely into the bathroom Reads begins to empty out his gym bag. He quickly discards the water bottles, empty beer cans, and other assorted items that he has collected. Eventually he pulls out the sheaf of bus schedules, stares at them a moment, and then discards them.

**Keep shirt? Should.**

By the time Reads is done the only things in the bag are a copy of the Constitution and the spare shirt that its been wrapped in.

**Fit head, arms. Legs? Where bags? Have bite bits off?**
3rd-Nov-2006 11:20 am (UTC) - Re: In the bathroom
Reads shakes his head. He kneels and quickly attempts to remove the Spiral's wallet, jewelery, and anything useful she might have on her and wraps that in shirt. Then he shifts up to Crinos and swiftly begins to remove head, lower arms, upper arms, lower legs, and upper legs with tooth, claw, and twisting in the manner of removing chicken limbs. Often stopping to spit and avoid swallowing any of the creature's flesh or blood. The limbs are placed in a little pile next to the body. Once all the limbs are removed Reads shifts back down to homid and starts to try to fit all the limbs into his gym bag starting with the head.

((OOC: Let me know if he finds anything on her. Also even with the gymbag being twice the size on the inside how many of her limbs does he get inside? Assume that head and hands have priority.))
7th-Nov-2006 12:41 pm (UTC) - Re: In the bathroom
((OOC: She's got some jewelry - mostly Wal-Mart level stuff, but she does have a nice ruby stud in one ear that could fetch some decent money. There's $11.00 in crumpled fives and ones in her side pants pockets, and a piece of what looks like parchment with odd symbols on it folded up in her back pocket.

He can fit the head and hands, no problem. He could probably fit both arms and *one* of the legs, but fitting the other might be a problem with the rest of her in there. :))
This page was loaded Feb 26th 2017, 7:52 am GMT.